Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Blogger's influence

Here's an effort to chronicle the influence of bloggers (and pre-bloggers such as Drudge) on the political system.

I came up with my description "Blogs...now freedom of speech and freedom of the press are the same" back in 2002. Experts and philsophers who have thought much more about this than I have can argue both sides vehemently, but I have to say that I'm glad that sources of information are becoming more decentralized. It is a double-edged sword, but I think there has to be a non-coercive response to the influence of Big Media and the small number of people who fund most broadcasts. And I do have to say that I'm grateful for the rise of Fox News, even if I do think they are not "fair and balanced" (no media outlet seems to be "fair and balanced").

More choices is better. Now, let's work on critical thinking and honest consideration of all facts and sides of a story. The creative abrasion process, where two different sides clash and create something greater than the two sides alone, involves a lot more than just two sides to an issue. It requires open-mindedness and civility.