Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Fair taxes again

Everybody who files their own return or pays an accountant to do it knows our tax code is broken. I've probably mentioned it on this blog before, but I support the Fair Tax, which replaces our whole tax system with a national 23% (or so) retail tax. Most politicians are, of course, against this proposal. Democrats in several races are using their opponents' support of this proposal as a campaign issue (scroll down to "LET'S DEMAGOGUE THE FAIR TAX"--Neal usually has page anchors for his sections but not today). Apparently, these candidates are trying to say that their opponent supports a 23% tax in addition to current taxes, which is a blatant lie.

I supported their petition, and I really hope this movement gains some traction. I think it will do more to bring a close scrutiny of our tax code to the public than "property taxes are inherently evil."