Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Political diversity in blogrolls

ZenPundit writes on the usefulness of having some diversity in your blogrolls.

I personally read blogs from the left, right, and middle. And I try to keep an open mind. For example, I enjoyed the words of Neal Boortz for years, but lately I've had to strongly disagree with him. Michelle Malkin likewise has had the guts to say the unsayable when the unsayable needs to be said. That said, she's very hard to stomach sometimes. The folks at Federal Review are often quite reasonable, and engage in less hackery than Malkin or Boortz. And, of course, the ZenPundit, who inspired this post.

Meanwhile, the Apostropher is just as reasonable a person as anyone I've met, and leans strongly to the left. (Sometimes he falls down.) The Modulator and Crooked Timber usually make fairly well-reasoned arguments usually to the left, though closer to the center. And don't forget Arnold Kling, the libertarian economist who usually comes out with thoughtful pieces. Finally (at least on my blogroll), Derek Lowe, the pharmaceutical chemist, provides a balanced view from the inside of the pharmaceutical industry, which is related to my own (clinical research).

Occasionally, I'll skim Atrios/Eschaton, but the Media Matters really engages in too much partisan hackery for my taste. I feel the same way about AMERICABlog as well as any of the hackery of Rush Limbaugh.